Keys to less stressed bee tending
- Use cloths to cover all frames but the ones you’re working on, ideally 2 frames.
- Move hands slowly.
- Do not blow on bees.
- Try to not make frames move suddenly. When you inevitably do, pause a few secs to let bees resume their usual mellow buzzing.
- Distract aggravated bees with thinned honey or very thin apple cider vinegar / cane sugar solution.
- Try to pick warm, low wind mid-day visits.
- Learn how to move bees away from pinch points when lifting and lowering frames. Video eg 1
If bees DO start to act upset, close them up and come back another day, or quicken the completion of your task.